Sunday, July 02, 2006

Slow Roasted Sablefish with Romesco Sauce

Shopping for ingredients for this dish was involved but really fun-- went to my favorite farmers market (berkeley), to Market Hall's specialty shops in our neighborhood, including the wine shop to get a Rioja to splash in the sauce and drink the rest, ala Julia Child, and the fishmonger, who convinced me to get the Wild Alaskan Sablefish instead of the cod-- it had come in fresh that morning (according to him), and he said it was beautiful, and would be even more delish. (and expensive!)

I made the sauce in the afternoon- Amanda was right, there was something relaxing about preparing all the ingredients in their own way. I did have trouble scraping the flesh from the soaked pepper, as it all sort of just disintegrated, so I just cut the few tough parts off, and threw the rest in figuring the food processor would take care of it. Other then that, all the other preparations were straight forward, made even easier with my beloved Cuisinart. The flavor of the sauce was delicious and earthy, and adding those few tablespoons of the sherry vinegar made such a huge difference-- really brightening the flavor. I was surprised at how much sauce the recipe made-- ended up with loads of leftovers which I think I'm going to throw over some pasta later in the week, and serve with some scallops or shrimp.

Cooked up the fish later that night-- the cooking time was about 40 minutes, but completely uninvolved, so I could definitely do it on a weeknight. I wasn't sure about how much to salt the fish, as she said liberally, and I knew it was a mild fish, so I used quite a bit of salt, almost creating a light coating. I used a mixture of grey and kosher salt, and it came out perfectly seasoned, which was a relief, as I was nervous about that part.


I served the fish over some fresh arugula, as I thought the color and sharpness of the greens would go nicely with the gentle fish and earthy sauce. Also roasted up some wedges of potato, as I figured they'd be great to dunk in some of the leftover sauce. Overall, I thought the dish was great. The slow roasting of the fish, a first for me, left it so delicate yet cooked all the way through. And I liked the sauce a lot, so much flavor-- though I'm thinking with some of the leftover to try mixing in a few capers, as I think maybe they might add a nice tang to it.

Oh, and the wine, at $11 a bottle, was a fantastic value. Albiker 2004 Rioja.

Overall a lovely meal that I am definitely going to recreate next time I'm entertaining... with maybe some Spanish finger foods to start and a nice cheese course to end... makes me want to have a dinner party soon!

8 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

my sauce yielded a TON too. i think i will freeze a cup to see it i can use it again in a month.

great pics btw! what is the garnish you used on top of your sauce? also, how thick did your sauce turn out?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

my sauce yielded a TON too. i think i will freeze a cup to see it i can use it again in a month.

great pics btw! what is the garnish you used on top of your sauce? also, how thick did your sauce turn out?

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Yeah, I don't know what kind of fleshy anchos Amanda was using, but I'm glad the processor worked for you too! I garnished with some slivered blanched almonds (I had extra anyway) and some lemon zest to cut the richness a tiny bit.

My sauce came out about the thickness of a good spaghetti sauce-- but I don't think I used the full cup of oil. I just poured it straight from the bottle while the processor was running until it got to a pretty good consistency.

BTW, If you ever are in need of specialty ingredients and don't mind a little trip, I LOVE Market Hall, (across the street from Rockridge Bart) It is not a huge store, but they pack it with all the things cooks need that aren't in regular shops. And I could live in their cheese shop!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jer said...

What delicious looking photos and what fun to shop around to different markets to find all the indgredients you needed. How did you feel about using the salmon with this sauce? Was it too strong a fish flavor for the sauce. Would you recommend salmon or should I pick something else up? I love your roasted potatoes. They looked so spanish. Is it just salt, pepper and paprika with olive oil roasted in the oven?

You both have inspired me. We are having two friends over for the 4th so I think I will make the sauce tonight and prepare the fish tomorrow night!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Julie said...

It was actually a sablefish, which is very similar to cod, oily thick white fish, not really like a salmon. I'm not sure how the sauce would go with salmon-- might be too many competing flavors, as the whitefishes are pretty mild bases for the super-flavorful sauce.

The potatoes were super simple, just cut a large yukon into wedges and threw them on the pan with the fish, on the olive oil, added some salt and paprika, and slow roasted them. About 10-15 minutes before the fish was done, I pulled them off onto a seperate small baking sheet and high roasted them (425) for 10+ minutes to get them crispy on the outside.

Cutting the recipe in half is probably a good idea if you don't want leftovers-- should be more then plenty for 4, plus some extra.

BTW, on a totally different topic, had THE MOST AMAZING bread pudding today at Tartine in the city. Brioche smothered in fresh berries... heaven. We are having a BBQ Aug 12 and I'm going to attempt to recreate it! Both of you, please keep the date open...

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Julie said...

It was actually a sablefish, which is very similar to cod, oily thick white fish, not really like a salmon. I'm not sure how the sauce would go with salmon-- might be too many competing flavors, as the whitefishes are pretty mild bases for the super-flavorful sauce.

The potatoes were super simple, just cut a large yukon into wedges and threw them on the pan with the fish, on the olive oil, added some salt and paprika, and slow roasted them. About 10-15 minutes before the fish was done, I pulled them off onto a seperate small baking sheet and high roasted them (425) for 10+ minutes to get them crispy on the outside.

Cutting the recipe in half is probably a good idea if you don't want leftovers-- should be more then plenty for 4, plus some extra.

BTW, on a totally different topic, had THE MOST AMAZING bread pudding today at Tartine in the city. Brioche smothered in fresh berries... heaven. We are having a BBQ Aug 12 and I'm going to attempt to recreate it! Both of you, please keep the date open...

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Gotcha. I don't know why I thought I read "salmon" as opposed to "sablefish". Pete always teases that I skim things too fast -- this was another example of that :-)! Okay, a white fish it will be. And thanks for the potatoes recipe! There are some really pretty purple potatoes here and a mixture with yukon gold would be nice. By the way, given how nice the sauce is should I serve the fish over a rice or pasta or are the potatoes on the side enough?

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I found the fish and sauce really filling, so if you are going to do potatoes, rice or pasta might be too much. I liked serving it on the arugula, and I bet other greens, like spinach perhaps, maybe even lightly wilted, would be a great complement.

Good luck on your dinner party, and hope you have a great 4th!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home