Sunday, July 02, 2006

Kaoru: Romesco Sauce


I decided to make the Romesco Sauce tonight so that I would have little to do tomorrow. My sauce turned out runnier than I would have liked, (too many tomatoes? too much olive oil? pureed too long?) but tasty nonetheless. It's slightly sweet, very nutty & rich. I have a hunch it will go equally well with fish, as with chicken (similar to the chicken in mole sauce Jer made when I visited).

Shopping: Definitely a bit of a hunt. Who knew how challenging it would be to find fire-roasted piquillo peppers? I also learned that hazelnuts are a.k.a. "filberts". Who knew?!?!

Cooking: Preparing the individual components of the sauce was incredibly satisfying. My ancho chile pepper yielded absolutely no flesh however, so I tossed in chunks of the entire thing (thanks Julie for the idea). Also, I substituted balsamic vinegar (for aged dry sherry) - turned out just fine. Finally, since my "filberts" weren't blanched already, I looked up how to blanch them myself. See below.

Blanching "filberts":
- Toast @ 350* for 10-15 min, stirring occassionally. Remove from oven.
- Place on terry cloth towel & cover nuts with the towel. Let sit ~10 min.
- Once nuts are cool, rub towel/nuts together until the thin, brown outer skin breaks off.

Tomorrow: Hit fish market, see how sauce flavors have settled overnight, prep fish, eat!

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Ooh, so adventerous on the blanching nuts! I've never done that before. I'm one of those cooks that has to burn several batches of nuts, before I actually watch them closely enough to get it right!

Sounds like your sauce came out delicious, I bet you are right-- it would be good on chicken. I'm also thinking maybe shrimp or scallop too.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out on your fish!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Jer said...

This recipe did remind me of the chicken with mole we made together Kaoru. Gosh that was so good. Sounds like you had alot of fun in your kitchen. Glad to hear balsamic works in place of the sherry as I don't think I have any. Given how much sauce you both yielded I think I'll cut the recipe by half as I'm terrible about actually using frozen sauces in my freezer. Fire-roasted piquillo peppers here I come -- I'm crossing my fingers that they have it at Seaside!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home