Thursday, December 21, 2006

Kaoru: Mac & Cheese


It was one of those days... cold, rainy and miserable. I also caught a mild cold and didn't feel great. After getting through the day - sipping tea with honey, 2 bottles of orange juice, a bottle of water and a cup of insta-Nestle hot coco - I escaped work at 5 PM. And the ONLY thing I wanted for dinner was mac & cheese. As Julie put it - ooey, gooey cheesey mac & cheese. Comfort food.

I hit the store before getting home, decided on a half recipe with a gruyere - monterey jack combo. It hit the spot mainly because I had built up the meal in my mind, but by all accounts, it was only so-so.

First, the pasta / goo ratio was a bit off (similar to Julie) which resulted in a mac & cheese on the drier side. Second, I could've used more panko for a crunchier top. Finally, I should've placed the dish on a higher shelf in the oven to attain a more golden brown color &/or broiled it at the end (as Jer suggests). My mac & cheese looks a tad anemic, no?

Don't get me wrong... my dish still TRULY did hit the spot (I wouldn't have wanted anything else for dinner last night), but Julie's inspired me to give it another go! Stay tuned for mac & cheese part II.

4 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Sorry you feel so crummy! I'm impressed you cooked-- when I feel sick all I want to do is curl up with hot soup from Chinese take out!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Part Deux! And hope you feel better soon...

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Elaine said...

Here's a Helen Corbitt mac and cheese recipe my friend, Cath, introduced me to and I make it all the time now with some Franks Hot Sauce. Better the next day reheated, I think. Happy Holidays girls!

1/2 pound macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (some gruyere is always nice)
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Boil the macaroni in water until tender and drain thoroughly.
Stir in the butter and egg; mix the mustard and salt with 1 tablespoon hot water and add to the macaroni. Add the cheese, leaving enough to sprinkle on top. Pour into a buttered casserole, add the milk, sprinkle with the cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top crusty.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Kaoru said...

thanks girls! elaine - i like that your version doesn't require multiple pots/pans ... makes the dish a bit easier to prepare!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Kaoru, hope you try again as its such a yummy dish and leftovers are so good. Looking forward to trying this one Elaine! Thanks and Merry Christmas Eve to everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home