Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Kaoru: Slow Roasted Halibut with Romesco Sauce


The meal I prepared was good, but let's just say... I've had better culinary moments.

Fish: There wasn't any cod at the fish market by my house so I prepared halibut instead which was another terrific pairing for the Romesco sauce. The sauce is so versatile - love it! However, in preparing the fish, I definitely over-salted, resulting in fish as salty as the Pacific Ocean. In retrospect, I probably could've used a fourth of the amount of salt I used. I got carried away thinking... Julie said she used a lot of salt... the sauce is so sweet... My family couldn't help but comment on the saltiness. Only one person was kind enough not to say anything out loud (thank you!!!) even though it was really obvious that I over-salted. I was parched later that evening & drank gallons of water to compensate. BUMMER! I will never over-salt anything again. I will never over-salt anything again. I will never over-salt anything again. Lesson learned.

Otherwise, the slow-cooking fish method was easy. Admittedly, I got a bit nervous about the thick fillets cooking all the way through and upped the temp to 275* and cooked for ~50 minutes. The fish was very moist (albeit salty...) and tasty. This technique is definitely good to know, especially when entertaining because there is very little you have to do. It's no wonder Amanda made it for her wedding dinner celebration.

Sides: In contrast to the fish, the sides were terrific. Boiled haricot verts (green beans) which were terrific dipped in the Romesco Sauce and "Julie's Potatoes." I used small red potatoes that were in the fridge instead. Turned out quite nicely.

Since I have so much sauce left over, I think I am going to freeze it & see how it tastes when resucitated in about a month. Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry about the salt, and if I led you astray! :( I'm generally an undersalter, so I constantly have to encourage myself to be brave and salt more than I think is necessary...

But sounds like your sauce came out great, and I'm glad the potato wedges are catching on! I tried the sauce on some linguini yesterday for lunch with my sister's family, with some grilled shrimp, and it was delicious. Coated the pasta really nicely, lots of flavor...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jer said...

I have over-salted for big dinner parties one too many times. I know its frustrating, but, trust me, this oversalting experience will stick with you and it will help you become a better cook. Don't be afraid in the future to salt - in spite of last night's experience. Salt is the master kitchen indgredient and elevates flavor unlike any other spice or condiment. Maybe in the future, stick with sea salt for final garnishing (at the table in a pretty cup is nice) but stick with kosher for meat, chicken and fish salting as it really is much milder and can withstand a heavy hand much better than sea salt. Sea salt is delicious for certain dishes (especially I think on a freshly grilled thick steak) but definitely has a more defined and striking salt taste than kosher and does not work as well with fish.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Gorgeous plating. Amazing how the plate and presentation can make a spanish meal look so Japanese!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home