Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Susan: Mac & Cheese











Leslie has it just right - Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food, and there's little that makes me feel better when the weather is gray than my mother's delicious version. Seems hard to go wrong with warm and gooey cheese anytime really.

So I was surprised to be a little disappointed with the Cooking for Mr. Latte version. The bechamel came together and browned beautifully - and I fully agree with Jer that a dash of fresh nutmeg is the way to go - so it seemed that we were on the right path. I used fresh cheddar cheese, my family's preferred mac & cheese flavor, and substituted prosciutto for the chopped ham in the recipe.

In the end the dish smelled heavenly coming out of the oven and looked great on the plate, but something wasn't quite right. At least to my, and my family's tastes, it was a more gooey concoction than than the casserole-style version we've grown up with. I'm not convinced that the extra step required for the bechamel pays off, although I did think the prosciutto made a lovely addition.

Maybe when it comes to comfort foods like this the magic is really more in the sense of familiarity than anything else. I am inspired by all of your willingness to try this recipe over again, but I think I'll be sticking with my mother's...

If anyone is interested in trying yet another version, I highly recommend this family favorite - fairly similar to the version Elaine posted, but with the addition of egg and a dash of Worcestershire sauce that gives a little extra punch. It also can be assembled in advance and frozen, which is useful for surprise house guests and hungry men. Enjoy!

1/2 lb macaroni or other shaped pasta (campanile or orrechiette work great)
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
A pinch of paprika
Dry breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Cook and drain pasta well.
3. Transfer pasta to the casserole dish. Add butter and beaten egg, tossing gently. Add 2-1/2 cups of the cheese over top.
4. In a small bowl, combine hot milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Pour mixture over the pasta and cheese.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top, then cover with breadcrumbs and dash of paprika.
6. Bake on middle shelve for 35 to 40 minutes until macaroni is firm to the touch and top is brown and crusty.

Adapted from the White House Family Cookbook, 1987.

4 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

i'm definitely going to try this version. love the idea of an egg and worcestershire. thanks!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Can't wait to try this and Elaine's versions as I love the idea of one step and not two. I agree with you about old time family recipes and what makes them good is the familiarity. I never like anyone else's filipino cooking other than that of my mom's, my aunts or my grandmother. The dishes just never taste as good to me as that of my family's.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Julie said...

The pic came out lovely, but I totally get what you mean when it is supposed to taste like what you grew up with. My grandmother makes this noodles and ground beef dish that is so simple but is absolutely one of my favorite things ever-- I can recreate it, but it just isn't the same if she isn't there happily watching us eat it! Luckily she is still around so I can still enjoy every bite of it.

I love that your version can be made ahead of time and just baked off when folks get there. I'm a big fan of anything that gives me the freedom to enjoy my guests! Will definitely try it soon...

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

you couldn't be more right susan ... i grew up with the goey version (not the casserole type) and therefore perfer that to any other form of mac & cheese. just goes to show that (esp with comfort foods), it's ALL about familiarity!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home