Monday, March 05, 2007

Julie: Lemon Risotto & Veal Chops




Despite it being just the two of us for dinner last night, I decided to bite the bullet and make both recipes. I haven't felt like cooking for a while (more on that later), but now I was ready to get rolling again! It was glorious being back in the kitchen, banging around, playing with fire!

I started the lemon risotto first, and just like Jer, I couldn't imagine doing it without shallots and white wine, which is how I start every risotto (except the duck risotto which I made with red wine, which was perfect for the ducky flavor). I used the lemon zest and the juice at the end, and omitted the cream, just like Jer. The flavor came out very nice, quite bright and intense... I've never had a citrus risotto before so it was a pleasant surprise.


The veal I did in an all-clad skillet on the stove, and then popped it into a 450 degree oven to finish. Started with some brown butter and olive oil, plopped the chops in, sprinkled on some sage, and then when one side was nicely browned, flipped them over and popped them in the oven. All told, took maybe 12 minutes total. It came out so moist and tender, really really delicious. I couldn't taste the sage much though. When I pulled the chops out, there were of course beautful brown bits all over, some drippings, and of course the fried sage... I couldn't let all that go to waste could I? So I whipped out some more of the white wine and broth from the risotto making, and deglazed it into a sauce, which I thought was delicious, and was the only place I could taste the sage. Overall a lovely, simple way to cook veal chops, which I had never made before. Definitely elegant and delicious enough to serve company, but plenty simple to make on a weeknight.

In terms of the pairing, I thought the risotto and the veal a bit of a strange pairing. I think next time the risotto would be fantastic with some nice fish, maybe even a great way to use up some leftover salmon or white fish, just stir the pieces right into the risotto. I bet it would be a great match. As for the veal, would go with anything a bit more straightforward-- perhaps a traditional risotto, or a nice orzo or something like that. Where the lemon and the veal weren't fighting for center stage! But a great dinner none the less...

As for the not feeling like cooking part, it wasn't my fault, blame:


Feeling much better now that we are out of the first trimester, and back to enjoying food again! Can't wait to hear what you all have been up to!

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Jer said...

Wow! What a fabulous photo of the newest member of your family. Thanks for sharing your wonderful news and can't wait for the little one to get to taste some of these fabulous meals you make. Your dinner looked so delicious -- I wish I lived near you so that I could have eaten with you last night. I agree about the lemon being strange with veal - which is part of the reason I didn't make it on the same night. I think the lemon risotto would have been just perfect with seared scallops.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

GOODNESS - congratulations!!! I'm absolutely thrilled for you Jules!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home