Friday, July 07, 2006

Pasta with Yogurt and Caramelized Onions (CWML pg 197)

The sweet maui onions that I used in the creamed corn the other night were so amazing I went in search of a dish in Ms. Hesser’s book which profiled caramelized onions for our recipe #2. Plus I am just a fanatic right now about plain yogurt and steal a spoonful whenever I walk by the fridge. But I’ve never really cooked with it except to make tzatziki. This dish sounded summery and fresh and healthy. It was found in a chapter titled “A Few or a Dozen Favorites”; and when her fiancé ate it he hugged her. Honestly, how can we go wrong?

I love any proper evening meal that can be made without a trip to the market. All of these ingredients I usually have in Kenny (the nickname for our icebox) so I am hoping we like it!

2 C sheep’s whole milk yogurt
5 T olive oil
6 C coarsely chopped onions
Sea salt (Kaoru, you can use the Baleine!)
1 # tagliatelle
1 C coarsely grated kefalotyri or pecorino romano

Let yogurt drain in cheesecloth for two hours (I always use a coffee filter (metal or paper) to drain cheese as I’m never in the mood to buy cheesecloths). Cook onions in the olive oil and caramelize (20-30 min). Cook pasta in heavily salted water. Combine drained yogurt with ½ C pasta water and mix well. Drain pasta and toss with mixture. Divide among four warm bowls and sprinkle generously with cheese. Spoon over caramelized onions and its juices.

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Mmmm, sounds so delicious--I bet the creaminess of the yogurt and the sweetness of the onion are going to make this feel like a very decadent dish! Part of me is tempted to throw in some fresh corn kernals... or some zucchini? What do you girls think-- too much? Maybe just on the side?

I just feel the need to hide a veggie wherever I can to diversity Chris' meat and carb diet whenever possible...plus ever since your corn description, Jer, I've been craving fresh corn!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Exactly - decadent without the high fat content of cream. I'm looking forward to it. You know, corn is so good right now that I might serve it on the side of a fish or meat dish so it doesn't get lost in the tartness of the yogurt. And zucchini has such a high water content that I wonder if it will thin out the consistency of the yogurt that you just spent so much time thickening (by straining).

Let's see. English green peas are in season and its always fun to buy them from the green market and de-pod them. So those might work and might provide a nice color contrast and nice sweetness to complement the onions. Fava and yogurt is a nice mediteranean combination and they're in season but you need to have the energy to blanche and de-skin them. Green beans, no. Asparagus, maybe. You know eggplant that has been roasted and drained of excess moisture might be nice. Split an eggplant, brush with olive oil and salt and grill it on both sides until its really soft. Peel, drain (to get rid of as much moisture), rough chop and toss with the onions. Might be nice but I like the green contrast of the peas or fava beans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home