Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kaoru: Mac & Cheese (Part II)


I wanted to do so much tonight -- talk on the phone, catch up on sleep, work, read my growing stack of WSJs -- but none of it seemed appealing. Since posting my anemic-looking mac & cheese months ago, I'd been haunted by the dish. I was itching to revisit it, to make it both gooier on the inside and crunchier on top. So rather than responsibly tackling my list of to dos tonight, I went to the market after dinner and tackled the mac & cheese instead.



The biggest changes with what I did were combining just the right amount of macaroni (I think I may have added too much the first time) and adding another splash of milk to the final mixture. I also incorporated pieces of torn ham, sprinkled a LOT more panko crumbs on top and broiled the last 5 minutes to golden perfection. What resulted was a perfectly gooey, and amazingly crunchy delight ... just the way I love it. I'm so glad I passed on doing any form of real work tonight.

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Jer said...

This looks really good. I like how you made a very thin layer so that you'd have lots of crunchy bites. So glad you gave this another shot as its really one of those dishes that is perfect to whip out on a cold night when you're feeling in need of comfort food. Hooray!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

Horay indeed! The dish is deceptively tricky as it has a lot of little things you have to remember to get it 'just' right. I'm having some leftovers for lunch in a few minutes. Can't wait.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Hope the leftovers were good. I like making a huge batch of mac & cheese just so we can have leftovers :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home