Saturday, July 15, 2006

Jer: Pasta with Caramelized Onions and Yogurt

Pasta with yogurt? Who would have thought. Yogurt with caramelized onions? Sounds even more strange. Surprisingly, the three together actually seem to work and I don’t think I would have ever tried this combination had it not been for this cooking group (at home or at a restaurant). So here’s to venturing into the unknown!

I think you really have to enjoy the taste of plain yogurt to enjoy this dish (I do and I did). If you don’t like the taste of plain yogurt I might suggest adding a teaspoon or two of sugar or honey to your yogurt (after straining it) to cut into some of the tartness. I did not add any pasta water to my yogurt sauce as I had just spent that time thickening it by draining it and I felt like it would be such a waste to dilute it again. I julienned some basil leaves and tossed them with the yogurt which was nice. Also, I had some fresh figs on the counter so I sliced one and sprinkled on top of the onions for good measure. Stonewall Kitchen does a Vidalia onion and fig sauce so why can’t I?

I thought this was a nice summery dish for when you are crazing creamy pasta but don’t want the fat and calories of butter, cream, flour and excessive cheese. I used fettuccini noodles but I think she is right in suggesting tagliatelle as the sauce is very delicate and it needs a more delicate pasta cut like tagliatelle or pappardelle (as opposed to fettuccini which tends to get cut a little thicker and is better with a heartier sauce).

I would make this again for myself (like I did on this beautiful and breezy summer afternoon) when I’m in the mood for something light and when I don’t want to run to the market for anything. Pete doesn’t like the taste of plain yogurt so I don’t think I’d make it for him. I wonder if the reason she suggests sheep’s milk yogurt as opposed to goat’s milk (which is what I used) is that sheep’s milk yogurt is less tangy. That is a possibility. If one of you is able to track down sheep’s milk yogurt I’ll be interested in hearing about the tartness level.

What I learned from this dish is that there a few ingredients that no matter what you pair it with they elevate the dish. Caramelized onions made fresh from summer Vidalias or Mauis is one of those ingredients.

3 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

wow looks great jer. the fresh basil & fig slices add a lot of color. i am looking forward to making it. i've cooked with vidalias in the past, but never with mauis. are they difficult to find?

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Not so dificult. I think you should be able to find them in most specialty markets. There are nice "sweet onions" on the market right now too that are just as good.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

you were right! i was able to find the maui onions at my local market. i never knew to look for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home