Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Jer: Veal Chops with Sage

I realized today when I bought the veal chops at the market that I’ve never made nor ordered veal before. I found that piece of Jer trivia very interesting given I’m not shy about trying foods. I’ve certainly used ground veal mixed with ground beef and pork for meatballs and tortellini stuffing, but never have I prepared or ordered a dish of plain old simple veal. I wondered all night what it is about veal that has caused me to shy away from it all these years and have yet to come up with a reason. Go figure.

The veal chops were relatively expensive at ~$17 a pound so I decided to pair it with braised cabbage - an incredibly inexpensive, delicious and ridiculously easy vegetable to make. For $4 and five minutes of effort you can create a delicious and hearty side dish. I chose red cabbage as I thought the contrast with the crispy green sage would be nice.

To make braised cabbage you quarter a head of cabbage and put it in a shallow pot or pan. Sliver an entire onion as well as a carrot or two. Generously drizzle with good olive oil and pour in enough chicken stock so that part of the cabbage is covered (maybe a third of the way up the cabbage). Season with salt and pepper, cover, and put in the oven at 300 for two hours (with the cover off for the last half hour). So easy and your house will smell amazing while its braising. This dish reheats really well and is a perfect pairing with any meat. I use it a lot, especially when cooking for a large group of people, since cabbage is so inexpensive and so underrated at the table (hence it gets a lot of “Wow, I can’t believe this is cabbage!”)

I drizzled balsamic syrup (not vinegar but the really thick syrup which, by the way, elevates caprese salads unlike any balsamic vinegar you will ever use) on the veal chops. I liked the chops but didn’t love them. I think its just the flavor of veal that doesn’t do it for me. But I loved the easy cooking method as well as the crispy sage. Crispy sage by the way is a wonderful topping (and color contrast) to whipped or mashed sweet potatoes. I think I'll try the crispy sage next time with pork chops and braised endive -- a cheaper cut of meat, a more expensive vegetable, but the same cooking methods used tonight.

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

Looks tasty Jer! I will have to braise cabbage one day myself - you've mentioned that preparation to me before and it sounds homey and delicious.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jer said...

Its really easy. And so fun to play around with the different types of cabbage. I went to Chino Farms today and they must have had six or seven different types of cabbage - all so gorgeous. I wanted to braise each and every one of them!

Another great cabbage recipe that I use for feeding big groups(I love using cabbage because its so expensive). Slice up a head or two. Add some mayonaise, sprinkles of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for about ten minutes before serving. Go light on the mayo. Squeeze lime if you have it but its great without it as well. This slaw goes really well with any type of grilled meat. Its also a great base for fish tacos.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Everything looked great. I'm so envious that you can serve braised cabbage at home. I'd be eating the whole head alone if I tried that one... but it looks delish.

As for the veal, I agree with you about the chops being a tad overpriced for what they are. The only thing I really ever buy veal is ground, like you said, and also scallopine (very thin slices) for breaded lightly and sauteed is delish...

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

the veal was VERY pricey. i'm glad i wasn't the only one who thought so. who knew?

i purchased ground veal the other day when i made bolognese sauce (equal parts ground beef, turkey and veal), but didn't notice then. ground veal must really just be the scraps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home