Monday, March 12, 2007

Kaoru: Veal Chops with Rosemary


$45 for three veal chops?!?! Sure, they were handsome one-inch plus cuts from a fantastic butcher, but at $19.99/lb., we opted for two chops instead.

Mr. Martini and I prepared the veal together over the weekend, as a side, for a large dinner to which we were invited. Despite only having an hour beforehand, we dry-brined, a la Zuni. After browning both sides for a few minutes, using rosemary from the yard (instead of sage), we popped our gorgeous chops in to a 400* oven.

When they emerged ~10 minutes later, they sizzled and spat all over the counter and filled the kitchen with an aroma -- not quite like pork or beef, but wonderful nonetheless.


We served them on a wooden cutting board, cut into thick slices. They were great -- tender and moist to everyone's liking! The salt/pepper was just right and the rosemary (while not strong) was a nice touch. Mr. Martini, who is a more discerning veal eater than I am, loved it as well.

Like Jer, neither of us had ever purchased or prepared veal chops before. We were really happy to have tried it and to have discovered how straightforward the preparation is. Susan, I'm glad you posted this dish as it encouraged us to try something new!

If only the chops weren't so expensive ...

3 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Jer said...

What a beautiful presentation on that wooden board! And what a fun idea to bring this dish to a dinner party. I know, the price really surprised me. I'd expect to pay that much for some good filet but I was surprised for veal. I guess inflation is hitting us from all sides.

Yum, love bolognese. I think I'm going to make some of that this week. Thanks for the idea!

Who is up for choosing the next recipe. Looking forward to beginning our next book project!

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

we actually prepared the dish at the dinner itself. it was a bit of work, but i think dishes like these are best consumed immediately upon preparation.

i still have plans to make the risotto, but am absolutely up for a new dish as well.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

where is everyone? On summer cooking break? Come on girls! Chop, Chop! Post your meals. Don't tell me, you are all starving yourselves this summer to fit into those thongy-y bikinis of yours? I miss your entries. Whats next for my book cooks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home