Thursday, August 16, 2007

Kaoru: Sweet Corn & Tomato Salad



I went to the farmer's market yesterday during lunchtime. While I went to just pick up some fruit, I walked away with mission figs, yellow nectarines, corn, tomatoes & a bunch of Bells of Ireland (for my office). I could have purchased more had I had more arms to carry everything!

Inspired by Jer's tomato & corn posting, I decided to combine the two into a summer salad last night. First, remove kernels off 4 corn cobs.



Lightly saute in butter and olive oil for 3-4 minutes. You don't want to overdo it (or you end up with mushy corn).



Remove from pan. Add ~1 basket of cherry tomatoes (sliced in half), 1/2 finely chopped red onion, and season with S&P, olive oil & healthy drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Enjoy - it's so sweet & refreshing it will blow your mind away!

Note, you'll have plenty of leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.

4 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Jer said...

That sounds really delicious and healthy. Summer corn really is the best isn't it? Do you by chance have a good method of cutting the kernels from the corn. Its never an easy (or clean) event in my kitchen!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

it's a mess for me too. and i probably end up wasting a lot of corn that I don't cut off. i use a very sharp, serrated bread knife & cut the kernels off in a big bowl (to try to catch the little flying bits). it also helps to break the corn in half.

i love corn... & always get a little sad at the end of the summer when i stop seeing the corn guy at the farmer's market.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Jer said...

Using a good serrated knife is a good idea. I always use a classic chef's knife and its always a crazy mess.

Another summer corn recipe I like is to take about a quarter of the cut kernels and put them in a food processor. Add it and its juice back to a pan and cook with the other kernels and some salt and pepper and a little shallot and a little butter. It makes a delicious creamed corn without the cream! (Tom Collichio recipe)

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Looks delicious.

Cheesy but effective trick for cutting corn kernals: I use an angel food cake pan or a bundt pan, stand the corn on end in the pillar in the middle, and cut down the side. The cut kernels fall off right into the pan. The hole in the pillar holds the corn steady and vertical, so I find it much easier than just a bowl.

A favorite corn recipe I can't remember if I've shared before-- mix fresh corn with black beans, cilantro, red onion (optional), lime juice and honey. Great filling side dish particularly for a bbq.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home