Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Kaoru: Kalbi & Bulgogi

I love Korean food – Korean BBQ, jap che, mandu, dok boki, pancakes, tofu soup & all the little pickled things you get when eating at a Korean restaurant. You name it, I like it! So I thought I'd try my hand at making a few dishes at home. Friends of ours had recently invited Mr. Martini and me over for home-cooked Korean BBQ; I took that opportunity to get their kalbi & bulgogi recipes.

Kalbi (short ribs)



Kalbi Recipe
1 # beef short ribs, cut for kalbi (buy at Korean market)
2+ Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed/minced garlic
1 Tbs. sake
Pinch black pepper
½ piece of fresh kiwi (or pineapple or orange), juiced/shredded

1. Distribute sugar evenly on beef by sprinkling on each piece. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.



2. In bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sake & black pepper.
3. Massage beef with shredded kiwi (& kiwi juice) using hands.
4. Add sauce & mix. Allow beef to marinate anywhere from 6 hours, up to 2 nights. If you do 2 nights, cut back on kiwi as it will tenderize the meat almost too much. The meat is traditionally eaten a little stiffer (vs. fall off the bone soft).
5. Once marinated, broil (or throw on grill) for about 5 mins.



The traditional way to eat kalbi is to wrap it in lettuce, with some rice & a smear of miso-sauce (see photo above).

Miso-sauce (for kalbi wraps)
Miso paste
~1/4 the amount of red pepper paste
Sesame oil
Minced garlic
Sesame seeds
Minced green onions (if desired)
Touch of white sugar


***************************************************************

Bulgogi



Bulgogi Recipe
1 # boneless pork or beef, sliced very thin (buy at Korean market)
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. crushed/minced garlic
½ teaspoon crushed ginger
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 Tbs. sake
2 Tbs. sesame oil

1. Mix ingredients together.
2. Marinate meat in mixture anywhere from 6 hours, up to 2 nights.



3. Once marinated, broil (or throw on grill) for about 5 mins.



Bulgogi pairs well with rice and kimchi (particularly the daikon kind). Below is the kimchi we ate for dinner.

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Jer said...

This looks so incredibly delicious. And I really appreciate the detailed instructions. I know my family would love this (especially Jen's husband) and I can't wait to try it on them. Beautiful photos. Is there anything in particular you would do different next time round? And would you and Mr. Martini mind posting some of your favorite Korean restaurants?

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Jer said...

How do you think the marinade would turn out if I wasn't able to get to a Korean meat market? Or said another way, do you think the way the meat is cut makes a big difference in terms of flavor or could I just have a regular meat market slice some short ribs thin against the grain?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

Next time: I won't use as much kiwi if marinating for more than a day. Turned out TOO melt-in-your-mouth soft.

Korean restaurants: I can never remember b/c they all have such generic names! Will post again.

Meat: Not sure how much of a difference it will make. I think the big thing is the flavoring. As long as the meat is sliced very thin, I think you're OK. The pork I purchased was labled "Pork Butt" in case you're wondering.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

I'm salivating...mmmm! I must pick up some kalbi meat this weekend. I usually buy the meat at a korean grocer and then just marinade overnight in a ziploc bag with the jarred kalbi marinade. I know, hush hush on the "jarred". I'll have to try this recipe. thanks

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Rachy said...

Okay, an entire TWO YEARS LATER, I BBQ'd this for my cousins and Jen and Bryan over the weekend...it was a HUGE HIT!!! Jen and Bryan have been buying take-out a lot since the baby was born, but she said she was going to make big batches (and maybe vacuum seal and freeze some) so that they can cut back on doing that. YUM!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home