Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Julie: Pasta with caramelized onions & yogurt




Lesson 1: every ingredient matters
Lesson 2: I love caramelized onions
Lesson 3: trying to expand your husband's taste repertoire is hard

Lesson 1:
I was such a good girl, I made this dish exactly as it says... I bought beautiful fresh pasta from Market Hall, I drained the yogurt all day, I added the pasta water (I think the theory there was the starch in the water would help the sauce adhere), I caramelized the onions to perfect sweetness, and then I added the cheese. Ah, the cheese. Not being able to find the Greek cheese they recommended, the cheese shop recommended the pecorino romano Amanda also mentioned, so I thought I was golden. Well, I should have lived by the Zuni (and Jer!) rule of tasting everything before it goes in the dish, and tasting often. I didn't. I grated the cheese and dumped it in. Only then did I taste it... it was like a bland mozzarella. And not the fresh kind. The string cheese kind. It not only didn't add the complexity I thought the dish could have used, it didn't add anything other than a slight richness, and the guilt of knowing I added a cup of fat to an otherwise very healthy dish. So lesson #1 learned, or relearned really. Taste everything and taste often.

Lesson #2
Caramelized onions are amazing. So good. The aroma, the taste, all from a 50 cent item. Need to use them more often.

Lesson #3
Chris doesn't like yogurt. Making a dish where the main flavor is yogurt was a risky proposition. He's a good sport though, and was willing to try the dish. Plus it was all we had in the house for dinner, and I don't think he was willing to risk crushing my feelings by going out. I think the onions were fantastic, and a life saver. As long as he got a bite of onion in each forkful (see lesson #2) he was willing to keep eating. I had dreams of him standing up and hugging me for making this dish, as Mr. Latte did. I got the hug, but it was more of a "thanks for trying, but not so much for me" hug. That's ok. Keep trying, and reward him liberally for being a good sport.

I'm torn on my overall assessment of the dish. I did the same as Jer, and used goat's milk yogurt. I thought the flavor was perhaps too strong for the dish, and would love to try it with sheeps milk yogurt to see if it could mellow a bit. But I did like the creaminess, and especially liked the yogurt and onion combo. I think with a nice crumbly Greek cheese could have been even better. So I definitely think I will try it again, but as a side dish this time, instead of as the main. I love Kaoru's idea of having a roast chicken with it, I think that would go together superbly. I had some roast chicken leftovers in the fridge, and was really tempted to shred that into the pasta, and I think the peas would have been a great addition, but I decided to be true to the recipe for the first go around-- next time I'm experimenting!

2 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

oh jules - sorry to hear about the cheese. i can't believe your fromagerie lead you astray. it's really a bummer. it's all about experimentation & learning new things though, right? next time, you will know - the way i will never oversalt anything ever again.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jer said...

I'm with you on how amazing carmelized onions are as well as on how I feel about this dish. I liked it when I made it because I think I was surprised that the flavors were pretty nice. But was it really just the onions that were nice and the rest was just ok? Would it have been just as nice with pasta, butter, cheese and the onions? Probably. I'm actually surprised that this recipe showed up in her chapter on dishes that were regularly in her rotation.

Can't wait until the next recipe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home