Sunday, August 13, 2006

Kaoru: (Beet Salad &) Pannacotta


I was asked to bring veggies and dessert to the farewell dinner party. No problem.

Veggies: I knew the main dish was going to be 'za and flank steak, so I wanted to bring veggies that would pair well. And since I had been craving beets, I decided to prepare the Roasted Beet & Vidalia Onion Salad in CFML, pg 140. Growing up, beets were just about the ONLY food I didn't eat - they looked weird and smelled funky. Luckily, I've grown to love them.

At the farmer's market, I snapped up some gorgeous purple & orange beets and Walla Walla onions (as well as Gravenstein apples that I later cooked in to applesauce). I had always boiled beets, but was pleased with how they turned out when baked. I’m still not convinced that baked beets are any better than boiled. If you have a strong opinion on this topic, let me know.

The two beet varieties were colorful and flavorful. And the Walla Wallas were sweet. The salad was a hit & paired well with the two ‘zas – caramelized onion/red bell pepper/olives, as well as prosciutto/arugula. Next time, I might sprinkle goat cheese &/or walnuts on top of the salad.



Dessert: I loved this recipe and plan on sticking with it going forward. First, the recipe is easier than previous ones I have used. It doesn't call for running the mixture through a sieve, and is prepared in one dish vs. multiple ramekins. Second, I love the portion control aspect of this version. Big dessert eaters (I admit I am one of them!) get to eat more than their fair share, and I don’t have to worry if additional guests join the dinner unexpectedly.

Sadly the pannacotta didn't turn out perfectly. Out of laziness and curiosity, instead of whole/buttermilk, I used nonfat. The pannacotta was too soft and wasn't rich enough. Perhaps I needed more gelatin too? What I did do right was add a tsp of vanilla extract when cooking. Drizzling balsamic on top is also a must before serving. It cuts through the creaminess and gives the dish some zing.

Great recipe. Hopefully, the execution will be a bit better next time!

3 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos and sounds like a delicious meal.

I love roasted beets. Its one of those things I almost always make after a trip to a good farmer's market. At Chinos they carry beets of various sizes and colors which makes for such a fun roasted beet salad. I am a big believer in the flavor of roasted beets as opposed to boiled beets. I don't recall the roasting process from the book - what I do is slather good olive oil on each beet with lots of freshly grated salt and pepper. Then I wrap each beet in its own piece of foil and bake at 400 until soft. After peeling off the skin I usually slice into quarters, drizzle with good balsamic vinegar and eat with some blue or gorgonzola cheese. It is always heavenly.

I am excited to try this panacotta recipe. Sounds like its even easier than the one we tried together in Cardiff earlier in the year. That one is easy but had many steps and so this recipe sounds even better. Hope to try it very soon.

Cheers from Hawaii -- Jer (sorry I couldn't remember my account info so I couldn't sign in properly)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Kaoru said...

I'll try baking my beets the next several times to see if I like them better. I'm probably just a creature of habit!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Julie said...

You have such great pictures--and I love the footed glass bowls, perfect for showing off the pannacotta and strawberries! My mug didn't do it justice...

Love the beet salad idea, think I'm going to try that this weekend for a picnic with the family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home